Dungiven Parish, County Derry
Ir. Dún Geimhin [doon gevin] perhaps ‘fort of the hide or skin’.
Village is 19km NW of Maghera
The final element of the place-name may have something to do with cattle but its exact significance is obscure. The fort which gave name to Dungiven was near the ruins of the medieval Augustinian priory which occupies the site of an early monastery on the north bank of the Roe,a short distance south of the village. This portion of the valley of the Roe was formerly known in Ir. as Gleann Geimhin, anglicised Glengiven.The Ir. name for the village was Baile an Mhullaigh [bala an wullee] ‘town of the hilltop’[(o) Dún Geimin c.830].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 64
Historical name form
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type