Aghnagar, County Tyrone
perhaps Ir. Achadh na gCarra ‘field of the stones’
The form assigned to John O’Donovan for this name is Eanach Gearr, although the element achadh ‘field’ is more likely to anglicise agh-. The second element might be carra ‘stone’ in recognition of a quarry which appears on the OSNI 6” map of 1832.
There is another Aghnagar in the parish of Clogherny (original form unknown).
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|Anagar||1742||OSNB: gen. sources 7|
|Aghnagar||1834c||Map in poss. S. Crawford (OSNB) 7|
|~Eanach Gearr/Short Moor||1834c||J O'D (OSNB) 7|
|~Achadh na gCorr ""field of the cranes or herons""||1936||TNCT 38|
- Dungannon Middle
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type