Charlestown or Bannfoot, County Armagh
On S shore of Lough Neagh, 9km NW of Portadown
par: Montiaghs bar: Oneilland East
The village of Charlestown in the townland of DERRYINVER is named from Charles Brownlow, a landlord who built roughly twenty houses here c.1830. The alias name BANNFOOT refers to the position of the village at the point where the Upper Bann enters Lough Neagh and where a ferry used to cross the river [Charlestown 1837].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 40
T.; Td Index 1851: Charlestown T.
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|Bann Foot Ferry||1760||Rocque's Map|
|Charlestown||1837||OSM vol. 1 p. 47|
|Charlestown||1837||OSM vol. 1 pp 90-91|
- Oneilland East
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type