Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Derrycor, County Armagh

Origin

Ir. Probably Doire Corr ‘oakwood/bog island of herons’

Background

A townland apparently named Derrichally was shown on the edge of the 1609 map of north Oneilland, between Tashtiragan (Eglish townland, to the south-east) and Derrylie (Derrylee, to the north-west, omitting Derryadd in between).  The first clear reference to the Tartaraghan townland of Derrycor was in 1657, DeryCorr, followed by Derry Corr in 1661, when it was owned by H Stanhawe, and Derycor in 1664 when hearth money was due from Rory McCann.  In 1760* Derrycorr was shown on Duff’s map of Lough Neagh to the south of Derryadd Lough, and its eastern boundary is now the stream that enters Lough Neagh near the Mill Bridge. There is another Derrycor townland in Montiaghs parish to the north-east. In marshy north Armagh doire, originally ‘oakwood’, regularly means ‘bog island, where trees can grow’, and it is likely that both names mean Doire Corr ‘oakwood/bog island of herons’, although Doire Corr ‘prominent oakwood’ or Doire Cor ‘bog island of river bends’ are also possible.

References

Kay Muhr

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
DeryCorr1657Inq. Arm. (Paterson) 233
Derry Corr1661BSD 56
Derycor1664HMR Murray (1941) 193
Derrycorr, Derrycavera1751Reg. Deeds abstracts II.103
Derrycorr1835Bnd. Sur. (OSNB) A135
Derrycorr1835Land agent (OSNB) A135
Derrycorr1835Clergyman (OSNB) A135
Derrycoveragh (N part)1835Popular (OSNB) A135
~Doire Corr ""oakwood of the cranes""1835J O'D (OSNB) A135
Barony
Oneilland West
Parish
Tartaraghan
Parish in 1851
Tartaraghan
Townland
None
Place name ID
9906
Place name type
T